About the Artist
After attending Canterbury College of Art, Tom studied courses in Heraldry & Calligraphy at the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies. In 1988 He was appointed the in-house artist at the Institute in Canterbury before becoming a freelance in 1992.
In his career to date, Tom has worked as a Herald Painter for theCollege of Arms in London and taken numerous heraldic commissions from private clients worldwide.
In his professional career as a heraldic artist and Illuminator Tom has found many opportunities where he can indulge his love of painting nature. He has also taken a number of commissions from English Nature to paint species studies for various publications and displays, as well as private commissions.
Past Commissions and Works
As a Herald Painter for the College of Arms, Tom has been commissioned to paint, scriven and illuminate many new Grants of Arms for notables such as ex Prime Minister Sir John Major and Sir Terry Wogan. He has hand written and illuminated many Family Trees cataloguing the great and the good, and the not so good!
One notable commission was an extensive family history for The Lord Lieutenant of Kent. This family tree had a decorated border that comprised all the traditional fruit and veg grown in Kent and it took up an entire wall when framed. View this piece in the Family Tree gallery, it is the first image.
Books Illustrated by Tom
- Tracing Your Irish Family History, by Anthony Adolph published by Collins
- Tracing Your Scottish Family History, by Anthony Adolph published by Collins
- Who am I? The Family Tree Explorer, by Anthony Adolph published by Collins
- The Cambridge Armorial, by Cecil Humphery-Smith, Heather E. Peek, Gordon H. Wright and C.W. Scott-Giles. Published by Orbis Publishing Ltd.
- Explore Your Family's Past, Reader's Digest
- Family History Monthly Magazine - Coat of Arms feature paintings since 1995